Currently the airport of Daugavpils is a simple abandoned Soviet airfield 12 km from the 2nd largest city in Latvia.
According to official information the Daugavpils airport opening is scheduled to 2013.
Liepāja International Airport is one of 3 major airports in Latvia, but currently it has no regular flights.
I couldn't miss the opportunity to take photo of this small airport on my way from Pavilosta to Lithuanian border
The monument of Ilyushin Il-28 military aircraft is located in a small village Skulte, 100 meters next to RIX.
Skulte was a closed military area before 1993, which was home for 27th division of Soviet Air Defence Forces.
People living in this area were also serving the Anti-Aircraft base in Marupe.
I'm already feeling sorry for putting again the picture plane, but not city :) In fact the photo was taken in Riga :) Bombardier Q400NextGen is one of the newest planes in airBaltic fleet, which is being used for short flights, e.g. to Vilnius.
Huge Boeings and small airplanes always fascinate me. I can watch them landing and taking off infinitely long. Actually there is even a legal status of this hobby called planespotting :) The best place for aircraft spotting are top floors of Panorama Plaza. Does anybody rent out a flat there? :)
Like many people in Riga, I often think about moving to somewhere else. Especially when I see this Boeing 767 of Uzbekistan Airways, which connects Riga to New York directly, I start to think about crazy things...
Usually I see similar pictures in music clip scenes about some famous American rockstars, but I didn't expect to see such abundance in Riga :) In this hangar are five small private planes like Cessna 172 and additional free space for the sixth one.
Thousands of flights are cancelled because of Volcanic ash over Nordic countries, including Latvia. More than 20,000 passengers get stuck in Riga airport, which is closed for all flights since yesterday evening.
Vulcan hazard experts say that ash clouds may block all flights for few weeks and will continue to affect some flights for at least several months.
Although airport officials say that air traffic will be resumed tomorrow morning, on 17th of April.
UPDATED on 17th of April afternoon: All flights are still cancelled (see date on picture)
Anti-Aircraft defense base is located in Marupe. It has some strange constructions and of course radars. It was built during Soviet times in order to protect airspace over Riga and surroundings. Taking close-up pictures is forbidden because the military base is still operating.
Ryanair Boeing is being refueled by an aviation fuel truck Mercedes-Benz while passengers are boarding. No time to waste. 89% of Ryanair's flights are on-time! I guess the rest 11% are simply canceled flights :)
Uzbekistan Airlines is the only airline which perform transatlantic flights from Riga Airport. The plane with the blue hood makes flights Tashkent - Riga - New York - Riga - Tashkent 3 times per week. Basically it makes New York JFK airport just 10 hours away from Riga. Not that far from the capital of the world, isn't? :)
Antonov An-2 or Kukuruznik (Кукурузник) is the most popular airplane in the former USSR countries and beyond. This one is parked at neglected Spilve airfield. Price of such aircraft is less than 100,000 USD. See also photo of Rumbula airfield fleet.
Riga is also known as: Riga, Riga, Rige, Rigo, Riha, Riia, Riika, Ryga, Ryha, Рига, Ріга, Рыга, Lijia, Hbuf
Some other keywords for this blog: Latvia, Latvija, Lettland, Letonia, Lettonie, foto, fotos, pictures, images
Bildes par Rigu un pilsetas apkartni | Фотографии Риги и окрестностей
Sometimes Photos are a little bit edited & Sometimes stories are a little bit fibbed :)
Riga Photos & Stories about Riga.
Riga Photos, Top Stories, Wonderful Sights, Remarkable Places, Typical & Famous People, Travel Guides & Official Information, Shopping, Party & Nightlife, Glamour & Fashion Clubs, Sport & Crowdy Bars, Alternative & Underground Pubs, Luxurious & Cheap Hotels, Live Webcams, News, Vague Rumors & Wild Facts about the biggest City in Baltic States